Sunday, November 10, 2013

November 10 - The Cats Report

Beginning Word Count:  18,558

Today's post is a report from each of our four cats:   Logan, Thames, Gus, and Sam.  Just to introduce you to them by appearance:  Logan is a markle grey tabby with white socks and a white ruff.  Thames is a marshmallow white cat. Gus is an orange marmelade tabby.  And Sam is solid black with one white star patch on his chest.  He's going grey.   I'll let them tell you a little about themselves.

Hi! I'm Logan! I'm the baby, and I'm four months old.  I've had a lot of excitement since my pawrents adopted me from the Greater Birmingham Humane Society.  Firstly, my name used to be Squirt.  It's a cute name, but it did not suit me.  I'm not a squirt!  I'm a giant big boy kitty, and I'm fierce!  Rawr!

First of all, I'm the newest addition to the family.  I came home with my Meowmy and Fathpurr on October 5. That was a Caturday.  I like Caturdays!  Caturdays are when I get to spend time with my pawrents. They like to play with me.  Meowmy picks me up a LOT. I like to be picked up and fussed over.  I also like to pounce things, like feet and tails.  Anything that moves is really fun to pounce. I also like to bat things.

When Meowmy and Fathpurr came to adopt me, they brought my awesome big brother Gus.  He's so cool!  He patrols and keeps everyone safe.  He's also a little too serious, which is sad, because he's a really cool cat and I think he could be cool and fun and pounce a lot more things and he'd still be cool!!  Purr!!    But anyway, when I first met him, he was under the couch in the adoption center, just chilling out and being the cool cat that he is.  Meowmy was a bit worried about him, and when I realized that I had to have his approval to go home with them, I started to play with him!  I mean, the pawrents already knew I was cute and I could probably convince them to take me home.  It was the cat under the couch that had to be convinced.

So I played with him and pounced his tail, and smacked a mouse toy to him.  He sniffed it.  Meowmy asked him if they could bring me home, and he said YES!  So I got to come home. 

I do not like cars!   And Meowmy and Fathpurr put me in a car!  Fathpurr rode in the back seat with me and Gus so that neither one of us would feel left out.  It took for EVER to get to the house.

Oh my purrs!  You should see this place.

I didn't know I was going to have three brothers.  I just knew about Gus. 

But I got to meet Thames and Sam.  Sam was so neat.  He just let me walk up to him, and then he licked me on the forehead and told me I was welcome here.  And there were toys, so many toys, and I could play with all of them.  I mean, before I could see toys in other places, but I couldn't get to them.  But Meomy and Fathpurr had a box of toys for all of us.  And they gave me a toy just for me.  It's a little lion, because I'm a little lion.  Rawr!

And oh purr purr. They have a tree for us to climb and sit on.  And windows where I can lay and look over the whole world.  I have brothers and all the toys I can play with and a tree I can climb and windows.   And a feather wand.

Meowmy and Fathpurr will not play with the wand with me any meowr and I want to play!   I guess I can see why they wouldn't.   But it's still very frustrating.

The day after I came home, they played feather with me and I was showing how high I can jump and how smart I am.  I'm very smart!  And Fathpurr was really impressed.   And then I couldn't move and started to shake really really hard.  Meowmy held me and made me feel safe.  And then it was over.  Meowmy and Fathpurr told me I was okay, and I cried for a few minutes.  Then I had to tell them how much I appreciated them and how much I liked it here.  That was when I truly knew I was their baby kitty.

Since then, I've made good friends with Thames and play with him all the time.  He's really awesome.  And he's training me to be a guardian who can keep our pawrents safe.  I've taken a lot of patrols and I've even guarded the house all night! 

I had another shaky, and now my pawrents won't play with the feather with me. But they are just trying to keep me safe, like I'm going to help the others keep them safe.

Because I'm a good kitten and some day I'm going to be a really good cat!


I am Thames.  I'm a lot more quiet than Logan, who, quite frankly, talks a lot.  I am more of an observer.  I came to my pawrents about a month before they got married, and they like to say they "had an unexpected kitten."  I was a teensy tiny little thing, if you can believe it.  I mean, if you look at me now, I'm a very big cat.  Meowmy likes to call me a marshmallow butt.  Personally, I feel that if she is going to insult me like that, then she should at least give me a marshmallow!  Anyway.

When I met Meowmy and Fathpurr, they were at the church, and I was so small.  And, if I might add, very cute.  And I am still very cute.   I dont' meow a lot, but I have a purr that can be heard from any room in the house.

I sat on Fathpurr's shoulder during the church service, and all the kids around him made a huge fuss over me, because I am cute.   And he gave me Buffalo Chicken.  It was SO yummy.    They took me to the vet, and Meowmy actually guessed my name.

I was a little shocked, because people don't normally figure out our names.  They give us a name, but to actually have someone figure out our name is really impressive. 

Meowmy called me Thames, and I stopped and looked at her.

Then Fathpurr called me Thames, and I walked over to him.

Meowmy said Thames again and I went to her.

And that's how I got my name, which I personally think is an awesome name.

I am four years old, and up until recently, my pawrents and Gus did not really trust me with any responsibility.  I cuddled, but Gus and Sam were in charge of guarding the house.  And Gus, quite honestly, didn't care much for me.  I was really depressed about it.  And honestly, I ate a lot.

I'm not so depressed any more.

We moved to a new city a few moons ago, and it was really scary.  There was a really long car ride and I rode with Meowmy.  Gus and Sam rode with Fathpurr, but I got Meowmy. She put Fathpurr on the speaker and I could hear him and Gus and Sam, even though I could not smell them.

Then we stayed at a really wierd place.  I didn't like it.

We came to this new place.  It was small and smelled weird, but had a lot of things I knew.  But Sam just was not okay. He was nervous and really scared.  I tried to comfort him, and so did Gus.   But he had too much stress adjusting. 

Meowmy and Fathpurr and Gus and Sam and I had a meeting, and our pawrents told Sam that he could retire.  He was not leaving us or anything, but his job was just to be petted and enjoy things.  He advises us and tells us things that his experience can help with.  Gus got promoted to Colonel, and I was promoted to Lieutenant.

Gus actually started to train me.   He trusted me.  And do you know what?!  I like being in charge of things.  I enjoy keeping our pawrents safe.  

You're probably saying "you're a cat. How are you keeping your pawrents safe?"

I don't defend them against physical dangers. They can do that themselves.   Gus and Sam, and now Logan, and I -- we defend our pawrents from  things they cannot see.    We defend their dreams, and keep bad spirits from coming into our home.

And we're very good at it.

I'm very proud of my baby brother, and I'm very proud that when I took over his training, my pawrents recognized my efforts and made me a Captain. 

Gus is in charge, and he is very good.   I'm learning a lot from him, and one day he will retire too.  And I'll take over.

I've got to make sure I am ready when he does.   Our pawrents take care of us, and we take care of them.



Colonel Gus reporting.  My story is a little different.  I met Meowmy several years before Fathpurr came into our lives.  So I have to tell you how I met each of them seperately.

Meowmy had a cat whom she loved dearly.  His name was Clio, and he died before I came to her.   But I met Clio before I met her.   So when I met her, I had to make sure she knew that I was hers.  It was not easy.   And for two reasons.  First, she didn't think she actually was ready for another cat after losing Clio and secondly, she was looking at black cats!

I am not a black cat.

So when she opened a cage to meet the black and fluffy cat which shared my cage, I jumped into her arms and purred my head off.  She kept trying to put me back, but I was having none of that. 
It took her a few minutes to realize that I had chosen her.  But once she realized she had been chosen, she accepted it immediately.  Of course, the reason I was chosen by Clio is that he knew I needed her almost as much as she needed me, because I was a very sick kitten.  I had double pneumonia and I was sick for a while.

But Meowmy just loved me through it.  She was used to caring for Clio, who was diabetic and had to have shots twice a day.  

I've always been a very serious cat, and knew that I had been sent by Clio to keep Meowmy safe.  That's what he did, and he needed a new guardian for her.  I was charged with this at a young age, and that makes me serious.

But I love to be cuddled and fussed over.

Then Fathpurr came, and it took me a little while to warm up to him.  I never disliked him, but he was not Meowmy.  Once I realized he was going to stick around, I figured I'd get to know him.

Fathpurr gives EXCELLENT belly rubs.

I was really not too excited to have Thames show up, because I was only just getting to know Fathpurr and he brought in another cat to our household.  Thames was not necessary. 

I mean. I'm cute.  I'm handsome.  I cuddle.  What need did we have for a kitten?

But they brought in Thames.

We really did not get along.  I mean, this kitten was completely untutored!  He was ill mannered and pounced at any hour, getting in the way of my guarding the house.  While he did scare away a few invaders, it was not the way you scare them to keep them away.  He startled them.

And he was not interested in learning how to guard.  I could not impress upon him the need.

Once we moved, though, Thames took his responsibilities much more seriously and started to understand what he needed to be doing.   I have trained him, and he is really doing wonderfully.
Meowmy and Fathpurr also decided to bring in another cat.  Let me be clear, I was not enthusiastic about this; however, if they had to bring one in, Logan is an acceptable addition.   They were determined to do this, so I accepted Logan.

And Thames has been working hard at training the little one, with my supervision of course.  I believe that he will eventually be a fully capable guardian in his own right.   I am very proud of him.



I am Sam.  I'm the oldest and I am the advisor for the other cats.  Meowmy has had me since I was six weeks old, and I chose her.  She was interested in this fluffy grey tabby thing, whom I knew to be a snob.  But when I saw her walk into that room, I knew she was my Meowmy.   I just had to get her to realize it.  I must have climbed her leg, gotten a cuddle from her, and been put down six times before she decided she wanted a kitten who wanted her rather than a "cute" kitten.

Meowmy likes to say she had never met a kitten who wasn't cute until she met me, but now I'm a very handsome cat.

And I know that when she looks at my kitten pictures now, she thinks I am very cute.  But she did not think I was cute when she met me.   That kind of hurts my feelings.  But I know she loves me dearly.

She had a very hard time coming up with a name for me, but she kept coming up with these foofy names.  I'm really not a foofy cat.  Finally, she said a name I liked.  Sam.  (I mean, who wants to be saddled with Purrseus.  Really?)

Clio was a really great buddy for me.  He accepted me immediately, and was my best friend.  He took me under his wing and trained me, and never made me feel like I was unwelcome.

I don't like other people and I'm very shy.

Then Meowmy met Fathpurr, and I had to learn to accept another person in my life.  I have grown to really love Fathpurr too.  He's awesome!

Everything was fine until they moved.  I do not like change. At all.   But I got to retire, so I don't have to worry about guarding our pawrents.   I do advise Gus on things, when he asks.  But for the most part, I just get cuddled. 


Today's Word Count:  2,438
Total Word Count:  20,996

No comments:

Post a Comment