Friday, November 15, 2013

November 15- Speed Racer Fan Fic part 4

Beginning Word Count:  26,806

Initially, I had thought to write fan fiction for several different series:  Magnificent Seven (it has been a good long while), Doctor Who (I've never written one for that show), Speed Racer, MacGyver.  However, I also have a policy to never start a new fan fiction until the one I'm working on is completed (unless I decide it is totally not going anywhere, at which point, I ditch it). Also, once a story has begun to be posted, I have committed to complete.   Anyway, this particular story is still going on, so I'm afraid there might not be any other series getting a fan fiction.  

Unfortunately, I've also gotten to a point in the story where it is going to be a bit difficult to write out of.  It's my own fault, really.  I've started with a premise that is going to be a mess.

Fandom:  Speed Racer  
Characters:   Speed Racer / Trixie
Title:  The Race to the High Road
Rating:   PG
Part:  Four of _______ (yeah, no idea)
Disclaimer:  Speed Racer is owned by Digital Manga Publishing, Tatsunoko Production, and Trans Lux and was created by Tatsuo Yoshida.  The character was adapted for English by Peter Fernandez.   I make no claim to ownership and am making no profit from this work.

Speed led Trixie into the emergency room at the hospital. She was not going to be a high priority for them; however, it was too late in the day to see a doctor any other way, and Speed was not about to let her injuries go untreated for that long.  Besides, he could tell she was still very nervous and would probably need something to help her rest this evening.  Speed led her to the nurse's station and they checked in. 

Speed rubbed Trixie's back while she filled out the forms, and walked them back to the desk when she finished.  He held her hand while they waited. Trixie anxiously looked around the room, as if expecting her attackers to come at her again.  He wished he could say something to calm her down, but it seemed that as the day had progressed, she had gotten more and more on edge.

Speed watched Trixie and smiled at her whenever she looked at him, but she was not saying much.   He wanted to know more about what had happened, as Trixie was not usually so jumpy.  Finally, she looked at him, and said softly.  "Tell me about the race, Speed."

"Really?" He was confused. 

"Speed, we always talk about the race after it is over.  Even when I've watched every turn.  So tell me about it."

He nodded. She was seeking normalcy, and he was not going to deny that to her.  "All right.  And after we're done here, we'll go get an ice cream soda.  Or whatever you want."  He kissed her on the forehead.  Then he started talking about the race, telling it to her from the point of view of the driver.
The view from the stands was one thing, but the view from the seat of the Mach 5 was totally different.  He saw only the cars immediately near him, and Speed had a tendency to get tunnel vision while racing.  He saw only the cars within striking distance of his car.   Speed looked at Trixie.  "Nine hundred miles is a long way.  But honestly, this is a really interesting race concept.  Very dangerous.  No more dangerous than the Ice Caves or the Lava Tunnels though, so it was just another road hazard dreamed up by the race makers.   Still, I think nine hundred miles of the same road in the same direction would have been extremely boring.  Also, the sheer number of cars on the track was dangerous.  A hundred cars on a one mile track?  In the starting position, we filled up almost the entire track!  It was crazy, Trix."

He smiled.  "But you should have seen Sparky.  He was brilliant.  Even as a pit crew of one against full crews, he still was faster.   I mean it, Trixie, Sparky was amazing."  Speed then frowned.  "I should have seen it.  I should have seen it while driving the first lap.  The pit crews were all out, but I thought they were runners for the officials.  I should have seen it at the first stop.  I just wasn't paying attention.  If I had --"

Trixie put her finger on his lips.  "It's okay, Speed. This is not your fault.  Please don't blame yourself."

"How can I not?  I mean, we both knew the rules of this race, and those rules would have said that the pit crew was limited to one person. They did not say that at all, and I didn't fight for you to stay with Sparky.  I didn't even make sure I knew where you were, Trix."

Trixie looked down.  "I could have protested too, while you were racing.  I didn't have to passively accept that guy's decision. I could have   pursued while you were on the track.  We both made mistakes.   I was stupid," she whispered.

Speed turned to her sharply and looked at her.  He reached under her chin and forced her to look at him.  "You were not stupid.  You are not stupid.  We're both blaming ourselves for this.  And we should not be.   Trix, you were the person attacked.  You're not at fault.  Okay?  The only people to blame are the jerks who did this, and the ones who hired them. Okay?"

Trixie nodded.  Just then, a nurse came out and called her name.  Trixie and Speed stood up.

"Patients only, sir."

Trixie backed into Speed.   He shook his head.  "I am staying with her.  My girl here was kidnapped earlier today, and we were lucky enough to get her back.  But I'm not letting her out of my sight right now."

The nurse glared at him.  But when she saw how Trixie was responding to her antagonism, she softened.  "Dear, would you like him to stay with you?"

Trixie nodded.

"Okay," she said to Trixie.  Then she looked at Speed, "But you're not to get in the way."

"Absolutely not!  I just want her to be taken care of."


A few minutes later, Trixie had been asked to change into a paper dressing gown so the doctor could look at her injuries.  Speed had stepped out of the room while she changed, then came back in when she let him.  He offered her his jacket while they waited.    When the doctor came in, he frowned then read the chart.

"Okay, Miss Nakamura?"

"I'm Doctor Jones.  Please, tell me what happened and why you're here?"

Trixie relayed part of the story to him, as he examined her wrists.   He stopped her for a moment and called a nurse into the room.  "Please, clean her wrists up while I talk to our patient," he instructed. 
He smiled at Trixie. "I would do it, but I have found that I am not quite as gentle as Nurse Simonton here is.  Those rope burns look painful enough without me making it worse."

Trixie nodded and continued.  He examined the bruises on her back and sides, and pressed her sides.   Then he frowned.  "I am ordering an x-ray to make sure you don't have any broken or cracked ribs.  It sounds like there was plenty of opportunity for that to happen."  The doctor looked at Speed.  "You won't be able to be in the x-ray room, but you can wait outside the door.   I'd like to ask you a few questions as well, so why don't I do that while Miss Nakamura's ribs are posing for their close ups."  He smiled.

Trixie giggled and Speed laughed and relaxed.  "All right."


Speed walked with Trixie and Doctor Jones to the x-ray room.  He waited as Trixie entered the room.  "It will probably take about twenty minutes to get all the x-rays.  Have a seat, Mr. Racer," Doctor Jones said, taking a seat outside the xray room.  Speed sat.

"What did you need to ask me?"

"It is more about her demeanor.  I can tell by Miss Nakamura's physical state that she's had quite a bit of a trauma, but I don't know whether she's normally this subdued.  I need to have your help to evaluate her emotional state as well."

Speed nodded.  "Trixie is one of the strongest people I know, and," he paused.  "I think she's struggling to keep herself from breaking down.  She's both quiet and bristling with energy.   I'm more worried about how she's handling this emotionally than any of the bruises or scrapes or broken bones, to be honest.   Please don't think that I think she's weak or being overly withdrawn or anything.  I know this was a horrible ordeal for her.  I'm just worried," he concluded.

The doctor patted his knee.  "That's what I needed.  I'm going to prescribe a light sedative.  I have a feeling she'll be having some nightmares and difficulty sleeping.   She needs rest.   If she does not start to come back to her normal self in a couple of days, promise me you'll help her find a therapist.  This was an ordeal and she should not fear to seek help in coping with any of the emotions that come up out of it."  The doctor looked at him.  "You might not be able to be that person.  She may need to say things that she's not ready to admit even to herself."

"Like this was partly my fault?"

The doctor shook his head. "No, that she partially blames you for it, and that's not the same think at all. And that it is okay to feel that way and she does not need to feel guilty."

It was hard for Speed to hear that Trixie might blame him.

"Mr. Racer, regardless of whether she blames you, that does not make this your fault.  It is just natural that she might without meaning to do so."  He smiled at Speed.  "And you might blame yourself, and you should not.  But you cannot be faulted for those thoughts either."

The door opened and the x-ray technician left the room, followed shyly by Trixie. 

"Why don't you two go back to the examination room and wait for me while these are developed?  Miss Nakamura, you may get dressed if you'd like," the doctor added. 

Speed took Trixie's hand and led her to the examination room.  He went in with her, then handed her her clothing before leaving the room to stand guard while Trixie changed.  She let him know when she was ready.

"How are you doing?" Speed asked.

Trixie shrugged.  "I'm hungry and tired."

Speed smiled. 

"I'm so sorry, Speed," Trixie said, softly.  "I did not tell you how proud I am that you won the race.   This was a huge race, and you should be out celebrating, and instead you have to baby sit me because I--"

"Stop," Speed said.  "You know I'd be celebrating with you.  I like to spend time with my girl.  Hospital or four star restaurant, it's the company that is important."  

A few minutes later, the doctor came back.  "I've got good news and bad news.  First, the bad news.  You have bruised your ribs.  I'll ask Nurse Simonton to wrap your ribcage in a few moments."

"What's the good news, Doc?" Speed asked.

He smiled.  "The ribs are neither broken nor cracked.  So that means that the time to heal will be a lot shorter."  The doctor took out the chart.  "Okay, I'm going to give you a prescription for the pain.  You have a lot of bruises.  You can take two pills every four hours, or as needed if you don't need that much.  And I'm giving you a prescription for a salve.  I want this to be placed on those wrists every twelve hours.  Nurse Simonton is going to bandage those up for you too, so Speed you'll need to watch her to see how to do it.  Trixie won't be able to do this herself.  Finally, I'm prescribing a light sedative.  This is to be taken once a day at bedtime."

"Is that really necessary?" Trixie asked.

"Yes.  Getting rest is very important, and the sedative will help you rest which will help you heal.  You'll be having a bit of pain which will interfere with you resting."

Trixie nodded.  "What about travel?"

"Travel?"

"We're scheduled to fly home tomorrow.  Can I?"

Speed looked at the doctor. 

Doctor Jones looked at the chart.  "Yes, but I want you to take a sedative once you get on the plane."
Trixie paled.  It was one thing to sleep at home or in the safety of her hotel, but out exposed on the plane?

"I will be right beside you," Speed confirmed.

She nodded. "Okay."

As soon as the nurse had wrapped Trixie's ribs and wrists, Speed and Trixie headed out.  They stopped at the pharmacy to pick up the presciption.


Today's Word Count: 2,165
Total Word Count:  28,971

No comments:

Post a Comment