Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Emperor




Today's card is from the Revelations Tarot by Zach Wong.   It's a gorgeous deck, and one of the unique features is that the cards are designed for reversals.   The image of the card looks entirely different depending on whether it is upright or reversed.  Unlike most decks where a reversed card merely has an upside down image, the Revelations Tarot presents a different image.

This is the only deck I do read reversals from, and the only deck I am not OCD about keeping everything upright when I shuffle.

When reading with it, though, it is important that the Querant be shown the card from the Reader's perspective as they are seeing something completely different than the Reader is.

I also love the imagery.  It's very reminiscent of stained glass.

Here I am providing the image both in the upright and reversed position.

Upright -- the Emperor is very commanding.  He controls the elements -- lightning is summoned by his command.  The clouds disperse at his will.   The Emperor represents the iron will one needs to accomplish goals.

Reversed -- those yellow lights are strings.   The Emperor here has no control.  He is a puppet, controlled by others.   

What I like about being able to see both sides at the same time is that it does present a picture -- there is the dark and the light together.   In many ways, it is a warning -- don't overstep, because it could cost you.   Or an opportunity -- cut the strings and take your power.  

Most decks don't really offer that type of vision

This is one of my newer decks, and I love that it comes with a couple of spare cards, particularly because those cards are actually useful.  So often, they are advertisements.  This one provides two spreads.   A year spread (which I am always looking for, so now I have it in a handy/dandy card that I can easily locate) and a Seven Days Spread, which is what I'm using today.

I really do recommend visiting  http://www.zachwong.com/tarot.


So back to the spread:

Monday - This represents the past -  The Magician -- I love how active this Magician feels.  Most feel very stagnant, but this one looks like her image has been captured in the act of spell casting.  The Magician also looks female, which is rather unusual.   Zach does use "he" when referring to this card, but it screams feminine energy and this is my copy of the deck, so the way it calls to me wins here :)   If you recall, the Magician is creation.   This is an upright Magician, so I'm only going to focus on that portion.  When I see it though, I do feel almost as if the Magician is working in partnership, maybe taking over from a mentor.    That actually makes sense to me.

(It occurs to me that readers of this blog are going to learn a lot about me.)

Tuesday represents the Present -- This is the Six of Swords.   This is usually a card which I think of as stealing away, but this is not how this feels.  He feels like he is struggling, leaving.  He is putting his energy into steering the boat, but he is not defeated, and he is not done.  

Wednesday - Hidden influence, hopes, fears.  The Hanged Man, Reversed.  This is indicative of stagnation, of maybe staying in place too long.    Staying in one place too long could lead to loss.   

Thursday - Obstacles or Conflict.   The Emperor.   As previously discussed, this card is about command control, so looking at this in the position it is in, perhaps the issue is a sense of control.

Friday - Outside Influences - Death, Reversed.  This is actually one of my favorite cards.  Death isn't about death, but it is about endings and beginnings.   For every door closing, a window opens.     Reversed, with the baby taking center, reminds us that change can be good.

Saturday - what should be done.  Three of swords.   I'm going to call it 'cut your losses'.   The three of swords is the heartbreak card.  This image implies that in many ways, the broken-hearted is holding onto the pain rather than releasing it.   Dwelling.  The advise from this card is to let it go.

Sunday - Possible Outcome. The Fool, Reversed.  Usually, the Fool is carefree, but in this reversed Fool, he is cautious.  Is that a warning, don't be too cautious.  Or is it advice to proceed with care, look before you leap.    Given the other cards -- it feels more like a warning about being too cautious.

Word Count: 768

No comments:

Post a Comment