Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Hierophant

The Hierophant

Today's deck is CatTarot, by Carole-Anne Eschenazi and Diana Cammarano.   This deck is one of those 'novelty' type decks.  I put 'novelty' in quotes because they really did put a lot of thought into it, and it is absolutely a deck you can read from.  It's a hilarious deck.  It's a nerdy deck.

Seriously, this is about the nerdiest deck I've seen.   This is the deck to take to Dragon Con.  This is the deck to take to ComicCon.   This is the deck you whip out with your nerd friends, because I don't care what you're a fan of, CatTarot has a card in it for your inner nerd.

It's a Lo Scarabeo deck, which means that the cards themselves don't have words on them.   One of the things I like about Lo Scarabeo decks is the absolute universality of them.  The LWB is printed in five different languages, and because the cards use symbols rather than words, it does not matter your language.  

This deck also does sort of require you to look at the little white book, just so you know who the card represents.  It's not about reading it for 'what does this card mean', but 'who is it?'

The Hierophant is one of the cards I do have a hard time with, mostly because most representations seem so hard.   This one is actually very cute and warm.  

When I look at this card, I see a teacher. imparting his knowklee to his students.   But when I look at his scepter, it is giving off waves.  This teacher isn't just sharing his words, he's sharing his spirit.  This is true of any teacher.

I do wish that the card had a different name, although I do tend to shy away from using alternate names for the Major Arcana cards.   But this is what I get from it.  Teacher.  

Who is this card though?  According to the book, this is Merlin.  I will be honest, I don't get Merlin from this rendering.  It's a beautiful image, but I don't see Merlin in it, personally.


The spread I have chosen today is another one I got from Mitchell Haygood during Tea and Tarot.    Our local metaphysical shoppe hosts a monthly tarot meeting, which we almost never miss.  

This spread speaks to me because it is about what holds you back.  I am not a risk taker by nature.





1.  What prevents me from taking a risk:   The Hierophant.     An interesting card in this position, teacher    However, in this particular case, I think I'm one of the kittens.   What prevents me from taking a risk is that maybe I've learned lessons in the past that risks do not always lead to rewards.  Or maybe I feel like I have far too much to learn still, and I'm not ready.

2.  Most deep seated fears:  The Moon (Marilyn Monroe, Catrilyn Monroe).   The thing I get from the Moon is that sometimes it's about the masks you put  on, who do you show to the world.   Maybe, I'm afraid I'm an imposter, that I don't really have what it takes.   I'm afraid to embrace my inner diva and let her out.

3.  What is the core of disbelief:  The Emperor (Cat the Fourteenth/Henry the Fourteenth).    This is telling me that I should think big, and embrace my inner power, but again, as it is the core, perhaps I'm afraid of what would happen if I did.

4.  Actions to take to overcome:  Three of Cups (Catx Brothers).   Usually, this is a really feminine card.   This is also a card about celebrations and friendships.  But this card is the Marx Brothers.  They were smart, but also silly.   So what to do to overcome?  Allow myself to be silly, and have fun.  Cut loose.

5.  What actions to do to nurture self-belief:  Four of Wands (Mickey Cat -- hilarious).   This card is welcoming.  Go to Disney?   No, but seriously, when I look at Mickey Mouse, I'm reminded of Steamboat Willie -- the mouse that Walt fought for.   He didn't give up.   No matter what others said, he believed in his dream.   Be the Mouse.


Word Count:  695

No comments:

Post a Comment