Saturday, January 5, 2019


The High Priestess

Illustrations from the Tarot of the Cat People reproduced by permission of U.S. Games Systems, Inc., Stamford, CT 06902.  c. 1985 by U.S. Games Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved.


Today's card is the High Priestess. 

Looking at this card, I see two large cat pillars looming in the back, one on either side of a dark expance.  Is our High Priestess in a cavern, or is she standing near a doorway?  She is bathed in light, in a room which is dark.   She doesn't look towards us. She is looking towards her staff.  Her robes are voluminous, much like the Magician's, but hers do not feel as much of a tool to obscure.  They are more of a symbol of her status.  She wears a collar of golden plates with a medalion that resembles an eye.

The High Priestess is usually about the pursuit of knowledge, wisdom.   She isn't about arrogance or haughtiness.  She is a student and a teacher, understanding that knowledge is an evolution.

This High Priestess doesn't really give off that vibe.  She seems to be one who receives petitioners and who uses her wisdom to aid those who seek help.  She doesn't seem unforgiving or unapproachable, but does does not strike me as a teacher or a student.

What I am finding in this deck as I explore it by the card is that it really does not feel like a RWS variant.  

The spread I am doing today is one of my own design.  It was inspired by the  Big Bang Theory.   The spread is called the Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock Spread.  


Rock represents what grounds you.  The card in this spot is the Four of Swords.  Swords are representative of the element of air....things that pertain to thoughts or creativity.   Fours are ususally about stability.  Traditionally, this card is about taking a rest; however,this card?  Honestly, I see a woman playing with her cats.  And to me, that's family.  In this position, this card is telling me that I find my strength in my family, in my home.

Paper represents the message you should take away.  The card in this spot is the Three of Pentacles.  Pentacles are the element of earth, and threes represent growth.  But in this card, looking at the image, I see a woman who is training cats, and the cat is balancing and juggling.  What does that mean?  She's clearly been the one who taught this cat.   The message I'm getting is that I should use my creativity to pass on knowledge.

Scissors represents something that is holding you back that you should cut.  The card here is the Four of Wands.  Wands are the element of fire, and Fire is passion.  As before, fours are stability.   Again, that's really not what I'm getting from this card.   I see the man here is playing music, and tehre are four wands on the ground as if tossed neglegently to the side.  The cats beside him are relaxed.  He's very relaxed as well.  So what does it mean?   The wands being tossed to the side make me feel like he's a dabbler.  He starts on paths, but gets bored with them.  He has a variety of interests but doesn't focus on any of them.  So in this case, there is a lack of focus.  The card is advising me to decide what I really want to pursue and focus my energies on it rather than being distracted by a multitude of things which consume my time and don't allow me to really focus on that interest.

Lizard represents something that is poisoning you or protecting you.  The card is the Ace of Pentacles.   Traditionally, Aces are about beginnings.   In this card, I see a woman who is using her energy to summon a pentacle. A fat cat is at her feet, content.   I have a fat cat who is a marshmallow butt of a purr monster.   Basically, he's about the sweetest cat you can meet, and if I'm ever sad or stressed, he is very good at grounding me.   So in this case, I feel like my 'lizard' is protecting me.  I feel like it is telling me that my family helps me to recharge so that I can devote my energy out to the world.

Spock represents the wisdom or experience that you bring.  This card is the High Priestess.   I've already talked about this one a little bit.  How does it relate to this spread.  I do have a degree in education, and frequently do training.  So something that it is telling me is perhaps my path should continue along that.

The spread does not have to be read in a particular order, because afterall:

Scissors cuts Paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Scissors decapitates Lizard
Lizard eats Paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
Rock crushes Scissors

So this does allow for a read which relates the different cards in relation to one another.  

How does the Three of Pentacles relate to the Four of Wands?  That means that I should be sure that sharing knowledge does not overextend my energy.  (Scissors cuts Paper)

Four of Swords vs Four of Wands - Don't let my comfort in my home prevent e from getting out there.
(Paper covers Rock)

Four of Swords vs Ace of Pentacles   Both of these were very family driven.   So since one was about my family recharging me and the other was giving me energy out to the world, I think this is also telling me that I help recharge my family.
(Rock crushes Lizard)

Ace of Pentacles over High Priestess.   I've been told I think too much. In this instance, sometimes, it is important to just feel.
(Lizard poisons Spock)

Four of Wands vs Ace of Pentacles.    Decide what I want to pursue, even if my family doesn't understand it.
(Scissors decapitates Lizard)

Ace of Pentacles vs the Three of Pentacles.   Don't feel like I must use my creativity to pass on my knowledge if that's not helping to recharge me.
(Lizard eats Paper)

Three of Pentacles vs High Priestess.   Both of these are about sharing knowledge.   Don't feel that the only way I should use my crativity is for education.
(Paper disproves Spock)

High Priestess vs Four of Wands -  Don't let my feeling of comfort, or my tendency to stay isolated with my family, keep me from getting out there.
(Spock Vaporizes Rock)

Four of Wands vs Three of Pentacles - My family can help me focus, and maybe help me keep from taking on too much.
Rock crushes Scissors.

Word Count:  1109

No comments:

Post a Comment